Effective: August 29, 2016
Information We Collect
We collect both Personal Information and Other Information about visitors to the Sites, as described below. For purposes of this Policy, “Personal Information” is information that we can directly associate with a specific person without additional information. “Other Information” is any information that is not Personal Information. We may combine Personal Information with Other Information, in which case we will treat the combined information as Personal Information.
We also may combine Personal Information or Other Information that we have about you with additional information that we or third parties collect in other contexts—such as our communications with you via email or phone, or your customer service records. In those circumstances we will treat the combined information in accordance with this Policy. Please note that we also may combine information collected on the Sites with information collected through your Aquanta networked water heater controller and our associated mobile and online resources.
Personal Information. We may ask you to share various types of Personal Information on the Sites, including:
- Email address
- Phone number
- Information about your water heater and utility providers
- Demographic information (e.g., the ages and number of household members)
- Financial payment information
Other Information collected automatically through the Sites. We also collect Other Information automatically through the Sites. This may include information such as your IP address and domain name, your Internet service provider, the date and time of your visit, your use of the Sites during your current session and over time (including the pages you view and the files you download), the URLs from the websites you visit before and after navigating to the Sites, your computer’s or other device’s operating system and browser type, your software and hardware attributes (including device IDs), and your general geographic location (e.g., your city, state, or metropolitan region). We collect such information using the following technologies:
- Server logs. When you use the Sites, we automatically receive and record certain information from your computer (or other device) and your browser. To obtain such information, we may use server logs or applications that recognize your computer or other device and gather information about its online activity.
- Pixel tags. The Sites or the emails that you receive from us may use an application known as a “pixel tag” (also known as a “clear gif” or “web beacon”). A pixel tag is an electronic file that usually consists of a single-pixel image. It can be embedded in a web page or in an email to transmit information, which could include Personal Information. For example, it allows an email sender to determine whether a user has opened a particular email.
We may partner with certain third parties to collect, analyze, and use some of the Other Information described above. For example, we may allow third parties to set cookies or use pixel tags on the Sites or in email communications from Aquanta. This information may be used for a variety of purposes, including analytics and targeted advertising, as described in the “Third-Party Analytics and Targeted Advertising” section below.
How We Use Information
We may use Personal and Other Information for a variety of purposes, as described below.
Personal Information. We use the Personal Information we collect to:
- Provide the Sites and other services to you, fulfill the terms of any agreement you have with us, or respond to your questions or other requests;
- Process your order for an Aquanta water heater controller, or otherwise complete a transaction that you initiate;
- Send administrative communications related to the Sites;
- Send newsletters, updates, and marketing communications about topics that may interest you and about our products and services and those of our business partners;
- Engage in analysis and research concerning the Sites, improve your user experience, and enhance the quality of our products and services;
- Comply with legal and/or regulatory requirements; and
- Compile and share aggregated information.
Other Information. We use the Other Information that we collect to:
- Count and recognize visitors to the Sites and analyze how visitors use the Sites;
- Improve our existing products and services or create new products and services;
- Engage in analytics or targeted advertising as described in the “Third-Party Analytics and Targeted Advertising” section below;
- For any other business purpose permitted by law, including any purpose for which we use Personal Information.
How We Share Information with Third Parties
We may share Personal and Other Information with third parties for a variety of purposes, as described below.
Affiliates. We may share Personal and Other Information with our corporate affiliates for the purposes described in this Policy.
Third-party service providers. We use third-party service providers to help us manage and improve the Sites and the services that we offer. These service providers may collect and/or use your Personal or Other Information to assist us in achieving the purposes discussed in this Policy. For example, we use third parties to help us host and manage our information systems, deliver marketing and administrative communications, and manage our relationships with the people and companies that use our Sites.
Business partners. We also may share your Personal or Other Information with our business partners to fulfill your requests for services; complete a transaction that you initiate; or meet the terms of any agreement that you have with us or our business partners. For example, we may share Personal and Other Information with installation professionals who can help with installation of your Aquanta device. Similarly, we may share such information with a utility so that you may opt in to an efficiency program.
Other third parties. If you have expressly consented, we also may share your Personal or Other Information with other third parties or in other circumstances.
Chat features on the Sites. We make it possible for you to chat on the Sites with customer service agents. We may retain transcripts of such chat sessions and associate them with the Personal and Other Information that we have about you.
Your direct sharing of Personal Information through the Sites and third-party services. The Sites may enable you to share Personal Information directly through the Sites. For example, the Sites may contain messaging features or comment functionality that enables you to interact with or share content with other users of the Sites. In addition, the Sites contain links to third-party websites that incorporate comment and social media features, including the Facebook “like” button and the Twitter “follow” button. If you choose to use these features, you may disclose your Personal Information not just to those third-party websites and services, but also to their users and the public more generally. Because these third-party websites and services are not operated by Aquanta, we are not responsible for the content or practices of those websites or services. The collection, use, and disclosure of your Personal and Other Information will be subject to the privacy policies of the third-party websites or services, and not this Policy.
Legal purposes. We also may use or share your Personal or Other Information with third parties when we believe, in our sole discretion, that doing so is necessary:
- To comply with applicable law or a court order, subpoena, request from government or law enforcement, or other legal process;
- To investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, violations of our terms and conditions, or situations involving threats to our property or the property or physical safety of any person or third party;
- To establish, protect, or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims; or
- To facilitate the financing, securitization, insuring, merger, acquisition, sale, assignment, bankruptcy, or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets.
De-identified or aggregated information. Aquanta also may share de-identified or aggregated information about users of the Sites, such as by publishing a report on trends in the usage of the Sites or sharing aggregated information about historical and real-time purchases on the Sites.
Third-Party Analytics and Targeted Advertising
The Sites also may enable third-party tracking mechanisms to collect Other Information over time and across unaffiliated websites for use in online behavioral advertising. For example, third parties may use the fact that you visited the Sites to target online ads for Aquanta services to you on third-party websites. In addition, our third-party advertising partners might use information about your use of the Sites to help target non-Aquanta advertisements based on your online behavior in general. For information about behavioral advertising practices, including privacy and confidentiality, visit the Network Advertising Initiative website or the Digital Advertising Alliance website.
The use of online tracking mechanisms by third parties is subject to those third parties’ own privacy policies, and not this Policy. If you prefer to prevent third parties from setting and accessing cookies on your computer, you may set your browser to block cookies. Additionally, you may remove yourself from the targeted advertising of companies within the Network Advertising Initiative by opting out here, or of companies participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance program by opting out here. Our Sites currently do not respond to “do not track” browser headers.
Security and Retention
Aquanta uses commercially reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your information against loss or unauthorized access, use, modification, or deletion. However, no security program is 100% secure, and thus we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your Personal or Other Information. We will retain your Personal Information for as long as reasonably necessary to accomplish the purposes in this Policy or as required by law.
Your Choices and Access to Information
You may review, change, or place limitations on how we use or share your Personal Information, as follows:
- If you want to learn more about the Personal Information that Aquanta has about you, or you would like to update or change that information, please contact us by email at email@example.com or by mail at the address in the “Questions or Comments” section below.
- If you no longer want to receive marketing communications from Aquanta, please follow the “unsubscribe” instructions that are included at the bottom of each message. Please note that if you unsubscribe from our marketing communications, you will still receive administrative messages.
Transfer of Information to the United States and Other Countries
The Personal and Other Information that we collect through or in connection with the Sites may be transferred to and processed in the United States or other countries for the purposes described above. Aquanta also may subcontract the processing of your data to, or otherwise share your data with, affiliates or third parties in the United States or countries other than your country of residence. The data-protection laws in these countries may be different from, and less stringent than, those in your country of residence. By accepting this Policy, using the Sites, or providing information to us, you expressly consent to such transfer and processing.
The Sites are not directed to children under the age of 13, and Aquanta does not knowingly collect Personal or Other Information from anyone it knows is under the age of 13.
Changes to this Policy
Questions or Comments
1616 Anderson Road
McLean, VA 22102